What causes dull skin?
Going from a luminous, radiant skin to a tired-looking, dull complexion can be a frustrating process, and there are several possible reasons behind it. The first and most prominent reason for a skin that looks dull is an excess of dead skin cells; if your natural shedding process isn't working efficiently, these cells will accumulate overtime on the epidermis (the skin's surface). This creates a barrier of clogged pores, resulting in the undesired appearance of dull skin with gray undertones.
Other factors that can cause dull skin include:
1. Poor circulation, which prevents the skin brightening effects of blood vessels;
2. Skin aging, which slows down the cell renewal process;
3. Poor skin hydration, given the lack of moisture in dry, dehydrated skin can result in a lackluster skin tone;
4. Stress and fatigue, which can translate into a dull face and a skin that looks tired;
5. Smoking, which decreases the amount of oxygen and nutrients that reach your skin;
6. An unhealthy diet including highly processed foods, excessive caffeine and alcohol, and a high fat and sugar intake, which can lead to skin inflammation and the breakdown of collagen, resulting in face dullness;
7. Environmental factors such as air pollution, low humidity and UV exposure, which can create free radicals on the skin and stimulate skin hyperpigmentation.
How to get radiant skin?
While there isn't a single, bulletproof answer to the question "what is the best dull skin treatment", there are plenty of ways to transform your ashy, tired skin into gorgeous, bright skin:
- First, a change of habits and a few lifestyle adjustments can do wonders for your dull complexion! Getting more sleep, drinking more water, applying sunscream regularly, eating more consciously, reducing smoking habits and getting more exercise will not only make you healthier and more energetic, but it will certainly boost your skin radiance and uplift your look.
- Moreover, brightening skincare might be just what you're looking for to speed up those results and get radiant skin within a few applications: from brightening face creams and serums, to brightening eye creams and face masks for glowing skin, Lancôme's selection of radiant skincare products will help you reveal a skin glow like never before.